LinkedIn: Calum Campbell
A versatile and experienced communications professional and copywriter with a background in designing training and cultural change programmes in a corporate setting. A sharp and accurate writer, I craft engaging and effective communications and can adapt my style to suit any target audience. My copy has launched major new product lines on Dobbies.com, introduced new systems and procedures at Glasgow Prestwick Airport and made complex training areas accessible and fun.
My experience extends to social media, internal communications, media relations, strategic planning, training design, technical writing, proofreading, event planning, research, presentations and content production/management.
M.Sc. Public Relations ~ Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh (2014 – 2015)
- Modules: Communications Theory and PR Practice; Critical Reflections on PR; Internal Communications; Public Affairs; Strategic PR Planning; Understanding Research; Professional Development Through Work-based Learning.
- Dissertation: Political Apologia: A Critical Discourse Analysis of the Crisis Response to the MPs’ Expenses Scandal.
M.Phil. English Language ~ University of Glasgow (2007 – 2008)
- Advanced research on a previously unstudied medieval manuscript.
- Produced a 32,000 word thesis: A Study of Glasgow University Library MS Hunter 232 – John Lydgate’s Life of Our Lady.
M.A. English Language ~ University of Glasgow (2003 – 2007)
- Also studied: English Literature; Scottish Literature; French Language, Institutions and Literature.
- Honours Modules: History of English I & II; Reading the Past (Medieval Manuscripts in Context); Middle English Language and Literature I & II; Old English; Old French; Old Icelandic.
- Dissertation: A Comparative Assessment of the Character of Sir Gawain in Arthurian Literature.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Certificate in Supervisory Management ~ University of Lincoln/3-d Development (2012).
- Employer funded course in recognition of my performance and initiative – part of a ‘rising stars’ programme that identified and trained future leaders.
- Student member of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR).
- Student member of the Public Relations Consultants’ Association (PRCA).
The Royal Bank of Scotland ~ On-Call Customer Service Officer (August 2015 – Present)
♦Personal and Business Banking ♦Customer Service ♦Temping while studying
Dobbies Garden Centres ~ Freelance Copywriter and Proofreader (March 2015)
♦Copywriting ♦SEO ♦Online/Digital ♦Product Descriptions
Dobbies Garden Centres ~ Communications Intern (January 2015 – March 2015)
♦Media Relations ♦Retail PR ♦Internal Communications ♦Event Planning
Glasgow Prestwick Airport ~ Passenger Handling (April 2007 – September 2014)
♦Training ♦Technical Writing ♦Research ♦Strategic Planning ♦Customer Service ♦Social Media
*See LinkedIn for full details of roles, duties and achievements.
WRITING AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Wrote 350 SEO-ready product descriptions for Dobbies.com, covering a diverse range of own-brand gardening and interior design items. My copy was key in successfully launching a new own-brand range of garden tools and accessories.
- Edited Spotlight, the Dobbies staff newsletter, which engaged with and promoted the work of the company’s CSR champions. I wrote copy, edited articles and the HTML template, sourced images and worked with contributors to receive content by deadline.
- Regularly communicated with journalists and bloggers, sourced product samples and worked to secure coverage for Dobbies products. I identify new opportunities, create targeted media lists for specific campaigns and am confident in following up with media prospects.
- I am adept at writing, to tight deadlines, across a number of different styles and for a range of platforms. I can identify the best tone to engage with a specific audience or emulate a client’s tone of voice
- Experienced and accurate proofreader and copyeditor (freelance and in-house).
DIGITAL AND SOCIAL MEDIA
- Confident using a range of content management systems and have updated my own blogs and websites (including this site); Glasgow Prestwick’s social media channels and website; and Dobbies.com.
- Created intranet pages at Glasgow Prestwick that made important resources available to users across the company. I wrote the HTML and CSS code and adapted the pages to meet changing needs.
- Active user of current social media platforms and aware of emerging trends.
- Currently developing a social media presence and website for a local restaurant/bar which has recently reopened under new management. Also developing a website for a new roofing business.
TRAINING AND EVENTS
- I designed a training programme for a role where lack of formal training was impacting upon service delivery. I wrote manuals, technical procedures, handouts, presentations and assessments. My programme was successful, tripling the number of staff trained, while improving service outcomes and customer feedback. I subsequently designed packages for roles across the department.
- Secured Edinburgh Zoo as a venue for a Dobbies training conference. One aim was to improve the standard of photographs being taken of CSR events so I designed an exercise incorporating a panda viewing. Tasked with taking the best photo they could, delegates were energised, gained practical experience and got a souvenir of the day. Photo submissions also significantly improved.
RESEARCH AND PLANNING
- Carried out numerous Glasgow Prestwick research projects on various scales including a passenger flow analysis which identified a boarding gate as contributing to delays at a more distant gate due to congestion. I am confident in making evidence-based recommendations to project stakeholders at all levels.
- Founding member of Glasgow Prestwick’s Customer Service Committee. Tasked with benchmarking and improving customer satisfaction and introducing a cultural change that placed customer service at the heart of every employee’s daily duties, our research-based recommendations informed infrastructure investment decisions, prioritising those which our customers most valued.
- I suggested allowing online completion of our satisfaction survey which led to substantial increases in response rates – 64 users completed the survey within 24 hours of its digital launch; previous months had averaged total responses of 150-200.
- Confident in measuring and evaluating the impact of communications, public affairs and social media campaigns.
- Postgraduate-level research training from the University of Glasgow and Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh.
SOFTWARE AND APPLICATIONS
♦Adestra (email marketing) ♦Buffer ♦Canva ♦Crowdfire ♦CSS (basic) ♦Facebook ♦Flickr ♦Foursquare ♦GIMP (image editing) ♦Google Analytics ♦Google+ ♦Gorkana ♦Hootsuite ♦HTML (basic/editing) ♦Instagram ♦LinkedIn ♦MediaFunnel ♦MS Office ♦Periscope ♦Pinterest ♦PR Max ♦Prezi ♦SEO ♦SlideShare ♦Snapchat ♦Twitter ♦Vimeo ♦Vine ♦Wordpress ♦YouTube.
I am a film buff and recently attended my first film festival. I enjoy creative writing, listening to music, can never resist a trivia quiz and live on coffee. I am passionate about politics and current affairs, enjoy live music and love visiting new countries (Brazil is my most exotic destination to date).